Saturday, April 26, 2008

Vaccine Update - What's Up with HebB?

We decided to give Tristan all of his shots, but on a more spread out schedule. The doctor was very supportive of this. Of course, he said that there was almost no danger in getting them on the recommended schedule, he did that with his own kids, etc, etc, etc. But he said that it was my decision. He didn't pressure me either way, which was nice.

I'm still not sure that I want him to have the Hepatitis B shot. Why does he need this if he's just a baby? Is it okay to wait until he's older and more at risk? Does anyone know?

Thank you and have a good weekend!


Ginger Taylor, M.S. said...

He doesn't really need it.

It is a sexually transmitted disease, and unless mom has Hep B, he is not a risk for it.

Doc's will say, "what if another baby in the nursery who has it bites him". I am not sure that is a huge risk.

The vaccine was developed to give to sexually active/IV drug using populations, but they found that those folks are not to responsible about getting shots, so then they decided to give it to babies.

But it usually wears off by age 7 so it doesn't really make any sense to give it to them.

There are lots of reports of problems with this vaccine. Adult medical professionals have to get it before going to work in hospitals, and among them there are reports of health problems following the vaccine.

My son's first serious vaccine reaction was to this shot at two weeks old. Three months of fevers and crying.

If you want them to have it (providing that you are not Hep B positive) wait until puberty.

Ginger Taylor, M.S. said...

I saw your question about alternate vaccine schedules on another post and wanted to add a few things.

Stephanie Caves Book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations", offers an alternate schedule that breaks up the shots and rearranges them in a way that makes more sense.

There are also things you can do for him around the day of the shots to help him process them properly (high doses of vitamin C, glutathione, NOT giving Tylenol).

She also discusses titers testing. around 90% of kids gain the immunity for the disease being vaccinated against on the first shot. But it is cheaper just to give them two or three more rather than testing everyone to see who needs them and who doesn't. So almost all kids get around three times the shots that they actually need.

Consider getting one shot and then having a titer test to see if they even need any boosters.

I know that you don't think vaccines cause autism, and we can agree to disagree on that, but read the vaccine package inserts ( and read all the serious disorders that the shots are known to cause.

Even the flu shot is known to cause Gilliam-Barre, an autoimmune disorder that attacks the nervous system, causes paralysis.

So, to my way of thinking, if you can pay $25 to find out if your child even needs another shot, it is probably worth it, as it allows him to be fully vaccinated at a significantly lower risk of any adverse reactions.

AspieMama said...

Thanks for the information and resources! I didn't even know that "titers testing" existed.

It was recommended that I have a flu shot when I was pregnant, but I decided not to.

deb said...

If you are worried about Hep B, get yourself tested... the only way a baby gets Hep B is directly from the mother.